Anne2.0 elephant walks on

10 yr Member
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echos Myron redux View Post
I don't know whether he has completely missed what an intuitive and attuned person you are, LT, but thinking he can somehow change the way you relate to others by telling you what others have told you before is patronising and really underestimates your ability to work this stuff out for yourself, I think. There are underlying needs driving your behaviour, not a misunderstanding about what other people think.
It seems to me it is a misunderstanding when LT said to T that she sensed he was frustrated but it turned out he was not, he was wanting to help her end her suffering. I don't have any special skills to determine who is or is not intuitive or attuned, but I think that even the most gifted of people often misperceive what they think other people are thinking and feeling without checking in with them to test whether these assumptions are correct. The people I've known who claim they are excellent at reading others pretty much uniformly aren't, but they've constructed an alternative reality where they believe they are correct and do not seek or pay attention to information that contradicts this.

I don't see any patronizing, just direct answers to questions and a willingness to engage what is brought to therapy.

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, susannahsays, unaluna