Magnate

Member Since May 2017
4,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 24, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echos Myron redux View Post
LT, a lot of your most upsetting experiences have centred around peoples responses to you (take MC for example) so I don't think you are under any illusions about the way people respond to you. That's why this T reiterating a similar response to those you've experienced in the past seems less than helpful. It seems like further rejection and shaming. Much better, I would have thought, to explore where these needs are coming from and deal with that, rather than to supposedly try to educate you on his own ideas of what other people might be thinking. The irony that he accuses you of mindreading...

I don't know whether he has completely missed what an intuitive and attuned person you are, LT, but thinking he can somehow change the way you relate to others by telling you what others have told you before is patronising and really underestimates your ability to work this stuff out for yourself, I think. There are underlying needs driving your behaviour, not a misunderstanding about what other people think.
Yes! This is so spot-on! One last thing before I stop clogging up the In Session thread: my anxiety around needing to know what other people are thinking (and my assumption that their perception of me is very negative) comes from a childhood need to know what my passive-aggressive/ambivalent mother was thinking so I could contort myself and my behaviors enough to please her and get the care/attention/protection that I desperately needed. It worked then when she was so emotionally unpredictable and inconsistently available, but it doesn't work for me now that I'm surrounded by stable people who genuinely care about me. If your anxious attachment style has similar underpinnings, then your therapist's insistence on making his reactions such a central focus of therapy will threaten to replicate past experiences and probably won't actually help you become more confident in yourself and comfortable in your own skin.

Hugs from:
ruh roh

Thanks for this!
Echos Myron redux, LonesomeTonight, lucozader