View Single Post
guilloche
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2014
2,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 24, 2018 at 04:34 PM

More disappointment, I just wanted to vent and wasn't sure if it was appropriate for the therapy forum.

There's a guy near me who does neurofeedback and has something like 20 years experience, trains people, and who trained my therapist. She recommended him, and says he absolutely knows his stuff and she trusts him. He also has training as a therapist, I think, so she feels like he'd "get" trauma and not risk making things worse for me.

On his website, there are 3 people listed at his office... him, his daughter (who appears to be in training to be a counselor) and another counselor who is certified in Neurofeedback and also has about 20 years of experience.

So, I finally sent them an email, asking if this guy is still doing neurofeedback, and how to schedule a "meet and greet" (per their website).

And, nope. He "consults" on difficult cases, but his daughter is doing all the training.

Ugh. Maybe I'm being unfair, but I've seen lots (LOTS) of therapists. My last T was very, very clear that when I was looking for a new one, I need someone with a lot of experience, because I tend to be a bit difficult (not on purpose, not anything dramatic - just a difficult case). New T agrees. I don't expect the neurofeedback person to be also doing counseling, but in reality, things might come up. And, there's no way that someone who's working at her dad's office and isn't even licensed yet (!) is going to be a good fit for me.

I know, I probably sound like a jerk. But, seriously... I've been trying to get help for the last 20 years. I've had a lot of experienced, qualified therapists... and none of them really worked for me. Lots of them inadvertently made things worse, or ended up kicking me out. It's been such a mess.

It's so frustrating to see something that looks like it could help - and feel like it's *just* out of reach. It's already expensive and time-consuming, why is it also so hard to find somebody competent to actually do the training?

I'm disappointed all over again!!! And, really... part of me just wants to buy a system and do it myself.

Thanks for listening... sorry for the venting! Happy Weekend everyone!
guilloche is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote