View Single Post
blackocean

Member Since Aug 2018
28 hugs
given
Default Aug 27, 2018 at 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididitmyway View Post
Oh, yes, in terms of "pink flags"..I don't think anyone can clearly pinpoint what they are. All I can say is that if you have strong feelings a.k.a "transference" for your therapist you won't be able to detect what's wrong for quite some time because some of the inappropriate things the therapist does may feel great to you. F.i, when the therapist tells you that they "love" you, that would make you happy and you'd believe that this is very "healing" and exactly what you need when, in fact, this is a clear indication that you should run away and never return.

Many things will not be obvious. They'll be subtle. In general, anything that the therapist says or does that sounds or looks personal rather than professional could be a "pink flag". I am saying "could be" because it's difficult to make a list of such "flags" without running a risk of demonizing some basic human behaviors and gestures as "unprofessional". I've seen websites that have such "lists" and I find them stupid. Many things on those lists don't mean anything in and of themselves. F.i, they suggest that scheduling a session at the late hour is a "red flag" when, in some instances, it might just be the only time available. Everything is contextual. You can't categorize anything as a "red" or "pink" or whatever "flag" unless you look at it in the context of the specific situation in which it took place.

In short, the best way to evaluate those situations is to create a distance between you and your feelings in order not to be swept by them. Listen to what your gut is telling you. If it tells you that something is not right, most likely it isn't. This doesn't mean you should immediately leave. Just be mindful of the fact that you are vulnerable in this situation and that you can't completely trust your feelings and your thought process. As much as possible , try to make a distance between your inner "observer" and your mental state. The "observer" is your awareness, the only thing you can trust which will eventually tell you what's going on if you trust it and stay connected to it.

Sorry if this answer disappoints you since there is no "flags"descriptions and no instructions on what to do but that's kind of how life is..
Yeah, I totally know what you mean about lists. I guess maybe a better way to put it is, When you look back with your new perspective, when should you have left? When should it have become obvious that the therapist was abusing you or had intent to abuse you? Sometimes I look back on my abusive situations and I'm just like, damn, it should have been clear and would have been if you weren't the frog in the pot.
blackocean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Wild Coyote