View Single Post
still_crazy
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2016
3,342 hugs
given
Default Aug 28, 2018 at 07:56 PM

hi. seroquel can be -densely- sedating. on the plus side, low potency tranquilizers (thorazine, seroquel, etc.) -might- carry a lower long term risk of TD than equivalent doses of moderate to high(er) potency drugs (Haldol, perphenazine, Abilify).

TD, EPS, akathisia, NMS, etc. can and do still happen on seroquel, of course. I have only rudimentary knowledge of this, but it seems that when a neuroleptic/tranquilizer is in the mix, more drugs=more problems. So...for instance...I take Abilify. When I briefly tried Depakote with Abilify, I had EPS and akathisia that persisted even -after- the Depakote was discontinued. True story. Lithium is, from what I've read+heard, even worse.

gabapentin might be worth looking into. old school shrinks--I had one once, she was actually fairly awesome--use sedatives (gabapentin, lyrica, benzodiazepines) to help keep the tranquilizer/neuroleptic dose a bit lower. They can also be used to ease tapering off of neuroleptics (and other psych drugs), although the benzodiazepines can have nasty effects after long term use, especially at higher doses (I think "high dose" is anything above the equivalent of 40mgs/valium daily, but I might be wrong about that).

I don't have major drug recommendations. Lamictal has been good to me, personally, but some people hate it, and others don't find it all that effective. Trileptal was kind of mind numbing and depressing, but it could have been the (excessively high) dose.

sorry about the situation. i hope this helps a bit.
still_crazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
DahveyJonez, TicTacGo