DahveyJonez

Member Since Aug 2018
13 hugs
given
Default Aug 31, 2018 at 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacGo View Post
Ah, I understand what you mean.
Well I'd say (and some articles back me up) that if these symptoms (goal orientated activity, hyper-focus, agitation) have been constant since symptoms of AS first appeared, it may not be mania you are seeing.
Yes, indeed they have been constant from the beginning. In fact, the perseverance and agitation that surrounded it were the only clear-cut symptoms (of AS) in the beginning (around age 4). That and what just seemed to be a built in inclination to oppose.

Quote:
If the shift in behavior was sudden and not present at time of AS symptoms, then it may be a manic episode you described.
No, there was no sudden shift in behaviour. The behaviour was always there, there was just more of it as he grew.
Quote:
In my opinion, I feel that the hyper-focus on whatever grabs his attention at the time (exercise, sushi restaurant etc.) sounds more like symptoms associated with AS.

In my case, the drive to complete a certain activity is usually met with confidence and almost a 'superpower' feeling; in other words, as though I can do anything.
I see, I see what you are getting at.
Quote:

When I become agitated, restless and have that energy, I feel more the urge to release the energy by whatever means neccessary
I see!! Therein lies the difference. He won't release the energy via any means available, as you would, for him, it has to be that and only that specific thing.

That'd also explain why he is so rigid. Rigid and inflexible with respects to the means. That's a hallmark of the Autism Spectrum but not so with Bipolar Disorder, is that correct? It may be present but its not a defining characteristic, right?

Quote:

That is where it'd be tricky- one could say he had that drive for a specific task is because of drive, or you could say it is because

that repeated activity was releasing (or soothing) that energy in some way (even to his own detriment).
In other words...a form of stimming?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crackers! you broke this down nicely, didn't you? I've never managed to get my head around the difference btwn a Bipolar Manic Episode and its AS equivalent. I knew the written criteria but was unable to interpret some of DS' behaviours within the given parametres.

Thank you kindly for clearing much of this up. You've pretty well confirmed what the doctors have been saying (AS) but your explanatory methods puts some meat on those dry bones

Quote:
Professionals sometimes see lack of need to analyze everything
"Lack of need" means the doctors haven't been able to file a claim for it ... yet
DahveyJonez is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote