View Single Post
DahveyJonez

Member Since Aug 2018
13 hugs
given
Default Sep 01, 2018 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_crazy View Post
hi. risperidone is good for some people. not a big fan myself, but i think it may have been because i had to take in a hospital, so i associate(d) it with the more draconian elements of psychiatry. anyway...

try to press to get his prolactin levels check, frequently. i think elevated prolactin can be treated with an additional drug (what fun! LOL), but left untreated...bad stuff happens.

Ja, I've heard some of the stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_crazy View Post
keep an eye out for EPS, TD. Risperidone can be fairly tolerable, but EPS and TD seem to be more of an issue with risperidone than with some other options, but...as long as the dose is kept low(ish), its probably better than an older tranquilizer (by lowish, I think I mean 4mgs or so...after that, EPS comes out in force, in big studies).

One of the problems is that my son has had compulsive tics on and off since he was 6 or so - which was long before he began taking psychotropic meds and their resurfacing/worsening seems independent of him not being on meds, though I know some of them make it worse and since he has been on Rispiridone, they have worsened noticeably. Giving Benadryl seems to help some.

Quote:
as long as the dose is kept low(ish),... (by lowish, I think I mean 4mgs or so...after that, EPS comes out in force, in big studies).
Really? hmmm...when we first had him on the Rispiridone (0.5mg 2X/day), we saw a noticeable improvement in his anger and more so, we noted that his opposition/incredible stubbornness about everything had opened up - which is something we never saw with Abilify or anything else. This improvement lasted maybe...2 or 3 days max before we started to see the improvement subside and reverse.

We were going to ask for an increase...my concern being he may be more susceptible to EPS, with his given transient or compulsive tic disorder (I thought Rispiridone was supposed to help with OCD, right? Which is related to compulsive tics)

I just hope some sort of treatment ends helping, long term. sometimes, when i had more severe problems...my shrink would prescribe a 2nd tranquilizer to take on top of the daily one. so...20mgs/abilify, plus a low dose or risperidone to take if needed. that way, i could usually stay on the lower dose of daily tranq, and then still get the as needed tranq for when i was agitated. just a thought.[/QUOTE]

So, by taking the Rispiridone, you were able to stay low on the Rispiridone? In our son's case, the Abilify helped (first year and 3/4 anyway) with his bad irritation but it made his mania/perseverance worse and seemed to do something to his executive function - not sure if we would want to go that route but ... not at least until we know if the Risp. is going to help at any dose.

Thanks a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool09 View Post
Geodon has worked great for my agitation (with some side effects). I passed out on Abilify and side effects on Seroquel.

When we switched from Abilify to Seroquel, there was a tapering period where he was on both, recall the pharmacists being quite concerned with that.

Thanks for the Geodon tip!

Cheers!
DahveyJonez is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote