View Single Post
DahveyJonez

Member Since Aug 2018
13 hugs
given
Default Sep 04, 2018 at 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jimi- View Post
Lamictal was a wonder med for me. Unfortunately I did develop SJS and had to stop taking it. Autistic people with family with autoimmune illness should probably not take this med, and if the patient himself has any autoimmunities, they should absolutely not take Lamictal. They did not know this when I tried it. Too bad. It wasn't like gabapentin or anything like that for me.

Corr blind me - you developed Stevens Johnson?!? From what I've seen of photos and all - its absolutely horrid! Look like plane crash victims. Nightmares...

I think I mentioned it already to someone but we had DS tested for an allele of a gene that if present, indicated a much higher risk. As his mum was of Asian descent (also higher risk for SJS), one did not want to have this strand of DNA and take medicines that had a high incidence of triggering it.

No known autoimmune disorder, though there is a penicillin allergy and looks like it'd be wise to have him take allergy shots for environmental triggers as pet dander, pollen, dust and moulde, I'm uncertain if that would increase his risk.

Quote:

If autism coexist with ADD/ADHD, a stimulant might help. Sometimes when they coexist, stimulants still don't help and can create problems. Different for different people.
He does. In fact, he was screened early on for severe ADD (war screened for AS as well, but they didnt catch it) and has taken those on and off. Do see def improvement but it wears off and when it does...bad, bad, bad. Also aggravates his on/off transient compulsive tics.

Quote:
Some people with autism tolerate neuroleptics quite well, but I seem to really need my dopamine. The only one in this class I tolerated at least a bit was Risperdal. The other ones, Seroquel, Geodon, made me feel like I was in HELL. Maan! It is hard to explain. I feel like the world is sometimes too close to me. Neuroleptics made me feel like I was even way closer to the world, and everything was hyper real. Like every impression, every thought, really got to me. Like I had no protection from anything. The world mentally scorched me.

Luckily I stopped having anger issues after getting on Luvox, sometimes other SSRIs can help as well. But all people don't have that kind of luck. It actually made me have a little more protection from the "world" but the med that helped most with that part was a benzo, and you don't give those to kids. About SSRIs, it is not like if you tried one you tried them all, I have tried several and all of them gave me different reactions.

My anger stemmed from everything being too close and getting to me. It is kind of hard to explain. I couldn't drop negative emotion, it just built up.

If he responds well to Benadryl, you could try the antihistamine path. Antihistamines are brutally sedative to me, even the non sedating ones. But we're all different. Antihistamines in psychiatric treatment are for example Vistaril, prometazine and doxylamine.

Personally SSRI+benzo dealt well with irritability and Ritalin made me less "autistic" even if they claim it makes autistic people more autistic. I was unhappy about being less though, so I just take it on rare occasions.
I've much to add here - but they be screaming at me to get off the computer, already.

More later!

Cheers,

Child-like - no one understands
Jack knife - in your sweaty hands
Some kind of innocence is measured out in years
You don't know what it's like to listen to your fears

Big man - walking in the park
Wigwam - frightened of the dark
Some kind of solitude is measured out in you
You think you know me but you haven't got a clue
DahveyJonez is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote