Thread: Self Sabotage?
View Single Post
-jimi-
Jimi the rat

Member Since Dec 2008
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 04, 2018 at 04:57 PM

I'm not sure I like the term self sabotage much. Sabotage is intentional and meant to ruin something. Thinking one has a part of oneself that is always out there to ruin ones life isn't particularly healthy. I think most of the time other things are happening, and analyzing why they happens is more productive than calling it bad names.

I know I am a sort of perfectionist and a black and white thinker. I do sort of want it all or I don't want any of it. But in my case it is because I'm still practicing to accept things as quite good even if they are not perfect. It takes time to learn to create some kind of inner greyscale.

The problem isn't that I want to ruin what I have, it is that for me, something half good, looks just as bad as a total mess in my eyes. It's a sort of cognitive flaw not to see things for what they are. I am getting better at it though. In the past I could diss friends for just one error they made because it would break the perfection. Now I am quite allowing and accepting human nature.

The same behavior of "self sabotage" can have many different roots. Just because the behavior looks similar, doesn't mean it IS the same thing.

Some people do it because they feel they need to be punished for something that happened to them, some for feeling guilt because of something they have done.

Some do it because of pure impatience and failure might be a result of disinhibition and impulsiveness.

You have to know the reason to be able to work with it. IMHO.