View Single Post
DahveyJonez

Member Since Aug 2018
13 hugs
given
Default Sep 05, 2018 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_crazy View Post
sometimes, a stimulant (upper) plus a tranquilizer/neuroleptic is a good option. I have an acquaintance (not with your son's set of problems, but...still...) who found relief from a broad range of "issues" with seroquel at night and an adderall xr capsule in the morning. the downside is I think there's some indication the TD risk goes up a bit, and if one gets problems from the neuroleptic (akathisia comes to mind), then the amphetamine or Ritalin can make it worse, not better. blah.

sorry about this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -jimi- View Post
For the very brief period of time I took Seroquel it totally wiped out any effect of stimulants. I think it has to do with how fast your body processes the neuroleptic. For some it goes faster.

The good thing with stimulants is that they don't need to be taken on a daily basis to work, one can take them when needed the most and then take breaks from them. Which is probably when they work the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_crazy View Post
dosing is an issue, too. it seems that neuroleptics=higher upper dosage to achieve whatever effects are being sought in treatment. Having said that...

for a while there, shrinks relied on "goof balls"--they were combo pills, part upper and part either sedative (usually a barbiturate) or carefully dosed neuroleptic. The ones w/ the upper and the neuroleptic were effective for weight loss, some forms of depression, etc., but there were also occasional horror stories (TD, addiction, etc.). Anyway...

some things never change. Now, it seems to be an amphetamine for "ADD" and then Klonopin for "anxiety." basically the same thing, just...2 prescriptions to fill, 2 diagnoses to contend with, etc. The Ultimate Goof Ball is a downer, a neuroleptic, and an upper. Not the best idea over the long haul, but...effective for extreme states of misery, no doubt.

Ja, the amp salts seem to have the most straightforward, WYSIWYG effect. In, does what it does and then out. They did seem to help with his unbelievably short attention to work but could also ignite his mania/perseverance and up the irritation (as if it weren't already in the red) in the later part of the day, not to mention the tics, which, even when the offending med is dropped, often continue on their own.

Odd thing was the stims seemed to make him far more compliant when they are first working, otherwise his personality is naturally hyper objectionist, hyper oppositionist.

As it turns, the matter is now out of our hands. He had to be admitted yesterday - something that has never happened before.

They're in the process of drawing up medication changes and will submit the to us in the near term. I'm wondering if they will come back with some sort of "goof-ball" combo, as you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised.

Just hope they can find the right mix.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Child-like - no one understands
Jack knife - in your sweaty hands
Some kind of innocence is measured out in years
You don't know what it's like to listen to your fears

Big man - walking in the park
Wigwam - frightened of the dark
Some kind of solitude is measured out in you
You think you know me but you haven't got a clue
DahveyJonez is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote