View Single Post
DahveyJonez

Member Since Aug 2018
13 hugs
given
Default Sep 06, 2018 at 11:57 AM

I'm here on behalf of my 16yr old son. Though I don't "have" it, I live it, daily.
Quote:

...has told me I can't be Autistic. She once outright told me I wasn't smart enough to be Autistic. Because I don't fit nicely into what she knows it looks like...
Yes. Our son went to a school a couple of years ago whose speciality was providing a socially-safe but academically meaningful education for those at middle school/high school age with high functioning Autism. A good bit of the curriculum was eligible for University credit. In fact, there were some Master's level subjects offered there.

As our son had struggled mightily with academics since jr. school, he felt really out of place there, though the students were of a much higher caliber morally, ethically, than he would find in reg. American public schools.

Quote:
I mean I'm extremely sarcastic, so obviously I understand the concept. But I have a hard time recognizing when other people are being sarcastic. I spend a lot of time asking people if they're being serious or not because I can't tell so I never know for sure.
Our son is so tuned in to sarcasm, irony that he thinks people are being sarcastic when they are meaning it literally.

Quote:
OK seriously HOW does ANYONE catch sarcasm through text?
I recall hearing (reading) once that irony and sarcasm don't translate well in txt.

To the extent that it does (and I've seen masterful displays of it on a pugilistic sports forum I belonged to for a number of years) it requires an audience witnessing the exchange to be very familiar with each other's online 'personalities', the subject matter, what a typical response would be and more than anything the person displaying the irony/sarcasm has to have a sense of timing akin to that of a stand-up comedian.

IMHO

Child-like - no one understands
Jack knife - in your sweaty hands
Some kind of innocence is measured out in years
You don't know what it's like to listen to your fears

Big man - walking in the park
Wigwam - frightened of the dark
Some kind of solitude is measured out in you
You think you know me but you haven't got a clue
DahveyJonez is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote