rise13eyond
rise13eyond has no updates.

5 yr Member
120 hugs
given
Default Sep 06, 2018 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jimi- View Post
I have Aspergers but I get questioned a lot if I tell people I have it, they simply will not believe it. I think it really has to do with people's idea of autism. I have tons of interests but I'm too lazy to do much with them. Then I cannot have Aspergers because they have one interest that they are driven to do all the time. Also one thing I get a lot is "but, but you're NICE!". I don't know even what to say to that. Did they expect a monster? I care a lot about people, I do volunteer work and the sorts, and I help people out when I can. For some reason aspies should be selfish. And I don't live up to that. And they say "but you're so social!". Eh... really? I look you in the eye on occasion not to appear rude, I can't initiate a conversation, I often drift off in my own thoughts while you talk, but still I'm social? Can't they sense I'd rather be somewhere else? I guess nodding and smiling really does the trick.

One funny thing, I was asked what my savant skill was. Um yea, like I have one.

Still, other aspies seem to recognize me, in a way I find some comfort in that.
Ah yeah I can see the problem not being conventionally socially awkward like some people seem to think you would be.

I mean in social situations I don't do anything awkward because....I don't do anything at all. I don't really know what to do so I just sit on the sidelines and say nothing. I come off more as rude than I do awkward. It's hard to tell people who don't know what it's like that I'm not trying to be rude, I literally cannot figure out what I should do.
But yeah oddly enough people who actually know something about Autism or actually have it themselves can usually recognize things in me. Like sensory issues, this isn't something you can see so sometimes it gets ignored. Stimming, particularly hand flapping, I mean that's pretty noticeable though. And boy I could tell you about my special interest *cough*DeathNote*cough* I mean there are many things I find cool, many things that if I got the opportunity to try I wouldn't mind doing so. But 9 times out of 10 I will go right back to that one thing. I kind of have a hard time getting into new things because of that. And it's also one of the reasons I don't follow trends.
I guess really the problem is I LOOK high functioning. And I'm just like pff please, you haven't seen the inside of my head.
rise13eyond is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote