Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
199 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 09, 2018 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsdwhoa View Post
I struggle with this constantly and have for years. I'm learning that a lot of my struggle stems from my battle with Cptsd. I was so afraid as a child to speak up that I genuinely don't know how to do it now. So, I have to learn to be more assertive and and not freeze with fear that the person will hurt me, which triggers my fawn/freeze response (see Pete Walker's Surviving to Thriving or Pete Walker, M.A. Psychotherapy for a description of the four F's).

I was remembering an incident from childhood that made me think about how far back my freezing goes. I was dressed up for Easter and ready to go to church. I was wearing a pair of shoes that were too small and my feet hurt so bad. But I was so afraid of getting in trouble for saying something that I wore those horrible shoes all day until I wanted to cry from the pain.

So, I think part of it is, somewhere along the line I either forgot how to speak up or never learned. I'm a compassionate person too, so codependency and being walked all over is a constant problem for me.
I have the same issue and always have as well. I'm sorry you struggle, never heard of Fawn before. I'll look into that.
rdgrad15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
cptsdwhoa

Thanks for this!
cptsdwhoa