View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Sep 12, 2018 at 03:10 PM

Well... this is an interesting subject. Thanks for posting it! I'm an old man now. But I've had a life-long struggle with what I've now come to realize was gender identity dysphoria (along with depression, anxiety, anger issues, etc.) Way back when I was growing up no one I ever knew would have even been aware there could be such a thing as GID. And sexuality, in general, was considered to be not a fit topic for conversation... except for smutty jokes shared between men. Consequently it has only been the last few years I've really come to develop any kind of understanding with regard to what was up with me all those many years.

In addition to having life-long gender identity issues, I have also been decidedly heterosexual (in terms of my AGAB). So that made the whole thing just that much more confusing & added significantly to my sense of shame. I do have internalized homophobia. Whenever I see scenes in TV programs of two men kissing, etc. it makes me uncomfortable. (I don't seem to have the same reaction to seeing women in same-sex relationships although, as I think about it, I rarely if ever see women on TV kissing romantically, etc. Maybe it's just the type of programs I watch?) I've never had any same-sex inclinations of my own. I've actually always been pretty uncomfortable around other men.

Seeing two men being romantically involved, so to speak, shouldn't bother me I guess. After all, although I don't identify with the LGBTQ community, I am at least in a sense a part of it at least technically. But I was brought up at a time, & in a place, where men were men, women were women, & romantic relationships were between men & women only. And if you didn't happen to fit neatly into that sort of arrangement, you darned well kept it to yourself if you knew what was good for you. So no matter how much I might feel like I should feel otherwise, or want to feel otherwise, when it comes right down to it... I can't

I don't know how one gets over this sort of thing. Perhaps other members will have some suggestions. In my case, it no longer matters since I'm old & I live a pretty-much thoroughly reclusive lifestyle. I do think, though, that getting to know people who we don't naturally feel an affinity for helps us to learn to appreciate them. So perhaps that's the answer. Perhaps getting to know people whose sexual orientation is different from our own (or like our own if we're uncomfortable with it) is the best way to overcome our homophobia. At least these are my thoughts with regard to your post.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LifelongLoner