View Single Post
Anonymous55498

Default Sep 13, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
Because they are not real. You don't really know them and they don't really know you. It is fiction.

I agree with this. Yes, some people tend to get attracted to others that seem to demonstrate undivided attention and caring although not everyone follows this pattern, whether in therapy or in everyday life. There can be many subjective reasons. For example, I do tend to feel drawn to people who show some similar characteristics as my father had, because my dad and I got along really well and he had traits and strategies in his life that I naturally grew to value, like independence and autonomy, ambition, creativity, a good level of fearlessness to try new things, optimism, an undying entrepreneurial spirit that never left him until ~age 80. A self-made non-conformist. He was always encouraging me to explore whatever I was interested in and to create a life I wanted for myself, whether it involved family or not. Very inspiring person in general. I definitely developed a lot of the same features in myself effortlessly but his influence was a great example throughout my life. He also had less endearing traits such as a level of narcissism that I did not like and still don't like in people, and sometimes that comes with the ambition I tend to like in people, but I tend to avoid those that have too much of it.

But in terms of therapy, I agree with stopdog that we don't really know the Ts. Many of us tend to project certain features onto them though and they often encourage these projections and exploring them as working with transference and such. People in everyday ordinary relationships do not usually cherish and encourage such projections and we also get a lot more realistic info from those interactions, which can prevent the cultivation of strong transference processes. I know, for example, that I tend to get quite irritated when people project on me and idealize me beyond short periods and usually try to break the illusions. Most psychodynamic therapists don't break but encourage them at least initially, of course that leads to the feelings developing and staying more/longer.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
koru_kiwi, stopdog