View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 13, 2018 at 03:23 PM

Here's the initial exchange from Monday afternoon (post-emotional session), so that part of my session from yesterday that I'll post in a bit will make more sense:

Me: "Hi Dr. T,

First, if you still have 11 a.m. Monday available, can I switch to that? (If not, 2 is still fine).
Second, I feel especially raw and vulnerable after today's session. Any words of encouragement/"I'm still here"/etc. are welcome. Nothing long, just a sentence or two. I suppose I should journal what I'm feeling.
Thanks, LT"

T (like an hour later): "LT,
I moved your appointment to 11am next Monday.

Not sure what you're feeling vulnerable about, but all is well on my end and hopefully you'll feel more secure and solid by the end of the day. Today was an emotional day from the start for you for some reason..."

Me: "Thanks for the response. To clarify, I guess just vulnerable and raw in general, rather than with you in particular. I was talking about death of friends and loved ones and my own mortality, which are difficult and scary topics. I admitted to mixed feelings about [H's friend's] and my grandmother's deaths, which makes me feel like a bad person, even though I know you said such feelings are common. I think I just wanted validation that I'd discussed difficult topics so such a vulnerable feeling was normal. And your reassurance that I'd get through it.

On another note, in your response, the "for some reason" is weirdly triggering to me, I think because it sounds like something my mom would say. Like "You were emotional for *some* reason," as though it weren't justified or I was just overreacting. I'm sure that's not how you meant it, and maybe we need to explore my reaction on Thursday. If you have any openings sooner than that, let me know (but I know I should probably just sit with it, so I may just opt to do that--just want to know my options, if any)."

T (next morning): "LT, You're correct, I didn't mean anything by it - in fact, I think I was just repeating back to you what you had said in my office about how you were feeling and not quite understanding why. Sorry it triggered you.

My Wednesday schedule has an 11:30am open if you'd like to make a change."

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
CantExplain