View Single Post
DahveyJonez

Member Since Aug 2018
13 hugs
given
Default Sep 15, 2018 at 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishva8kumara View Post
No, I haven't tried exposure therapy. I'm scared about the idea of that, specially when it comes to contamination anxiety.

You should consider it. The term 'Exposure' does seem to have a disquieting ring to it with implications of some hooded and cloaked beastie lumbering behind you at a lido, "Hello, a bit of aquaphobia, I see. Well, hows about a little dip, then? Shall we? heh-heh", lol.

No, its not like that at all! I'd wondered about that myself, but I sat through sessions with my son and watched the process. Its quite safe. The key is getting a therapist whose demeanor meshes well with you and that may take several tries. Not all therapists are created equal. Just remember that the therapy itself has a very good track record. Its the implementation that is key.

Also, it helps to be sick and tired of having the compulsions and intrusive thoughts running your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romantic rose View Post
I agree with Wild Coyote, anti epileptics might be better. It's awful that your child has been put on antipsychotics at 16. Seroquel is bad for severe weight gain, craving unhealthy foods, and will make your son very sleepy. 800mg knocked me out for about 10 hours a night (I am female and 5ft 1 though). I put on half my body weight with Seroquel and it made me obese. It can also cause diabetes and heart disease. So I would suggest something other than an antipsychotic. Abilify is not so bad for these things but it is a newer drug so the long term side effects are not really known.
Most atypical antipsychotics have side effects like Seroquel.

Best of luck with it all.

Thanks, Rose. Ja, 16 and we've seen them much, much younger. I do wonder about the long term effects. What will these kids look like years in the future. I shudder when I think of the possible toxicological effects after years of use beginning in early childhood. I shudder.

There's no way of knowing, not even close to doing any meaningful medium term studies. Many, if not most, haven't been around long enough. Its uncharted territory from here out.

Yes, Abilify does seem to be the best out of the bunch. Our child had been on it nigh three years, and I recall overhearing, almost in passing from at least one doctor, they didn't think it a keen idea to keep them on it for too long and we can't help but wonder if at least some of the problems he's been experiencing are possibly due to unknown effects on some portion of the executive function.

But there's just no way of knowing...
DahveyJonez is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
vishva8kumara