View Single Post
Tucson
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jul 2014
16 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 19, 2018 at 09:57 AM

I weigh 171 pounds now. This is after eating 18 ounces by weight of food. This is also before going to the restroom. So it appears my actual weight would be around 170 pounds or even less. I will see what happens over the next several days.

@UpDownAround: I would go by MET values instead of what is displayed by the machine. I have read in more than just one source that those exercise machines can be way off. This is so much so that there are some who recommend ignoring it. For instance, the callibration of distance on a treadmill can be way off, so calories calculated from this will also be way off. This still assumes that the calories burned dislayed by the machine would be accurate if the distance was accurate. This part is debatable too.

The watch you had was measuring calories burned probably by a simple formula, basically using your weight and pace and time. Also the type of activity was used somewhere in that calculation, which is basically some sort of MET value. Their own MET type value may not be correct for your particular situation. For that matter, the determination of pace is very problematic with fitness bands. But anyway, I digress.

I find that the plethora of documented MET values by specific activity and how that activity is performed are much more useful. Limiting this to your specific situation and the exercises that you perform can make this simple for you to use. IMO This will be much more accurate than anything displayed by an exercise machine.

Last edited by Tucson; Sep 19, 2018 at 12:24 PM..