View Single Post
Anonymous55498
Anonymous55498 has no updates. Edit

Default Sep 26, 2018 at 06:48 AM

I've listened to “The Secret That Almost Killed Me” by Kirsten Johnson. I don't like the speaker much but I also relate to parts of the story. The dark secrets (mine were different, who doesn't have some?) and especially the recovery part. I, and many other people I know, experienced early sobriety in quite similar ways. That was where the peer support groups and especially the person who I often refer to as my "sober mentor" were extremely important. The latter person, especially, was the best model I'd ever seen for how to use anger constructively. I learned how anger, if channeled correctly, can be one of the best antidotes to anxiety and also a very powerful motivation to make constructive change. In that way, also good for depression. For me, this was perhaps the most useful emotional skill I'd learned about coping in early recovery. Not in therapy though.

Sherwin Nuland's TED talk about Depression/ECT is also one of my favorites. I really like his style and it is a very positive, inspiring recovery story. He also has the kind of humor that I appreciate.

Last edited by Anonymous55498; Sep 26, 2018 at 07:05 AM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
here today, TrailRunner14, WarmFuzzySocks