View Single Post
spondiferous
Dancer in the Dark

Member Since Feb 2012
2,829 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 26, 2018 at 10:01 AM

I have experienced dysphoria as a cycle, and my dysphoria is different from many people's because mine is mostly social. That is, I experience dysphoria over how I am perceived by others, not the physical reality of my body.

I think it's important to remember that transition, however you define that for yourself, is not linear. There's no start and end point. I think of it as everything else in life: the continual process of departing and coming back to myself, then departing again with new knowledge and experience to embark on the next branch of my journey. For sometimes months or a year or more, I don't think about my gender at all. Sometimes it's all I think about.

Another thing is, dysphoria is not a requirement for being trans, so there is no "right" way to experience it. Some have it, some don't, some struggle with it their whole lives, others only experience small glimpses or, once they take whatever transitional measures they intend to take, or simply come to a deeper awareness and affirmative place in their gender journey, it doesn't really bother them anymore. The most important thing is to keep learning all you can about yourself and social and medical transition, so you can make the most informed choices possible. Make sure the people in your life, wherever possible, validate who you are, no matter where you are. I've changed names and pronouns and identities numerous times in the last 5 years or so, and my core group of friends and chosen family are always excited to learn something new about me. (granted they're all trans/nonbinary/queer people, which helps!)

Best of luck on your journey. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to friend/message me. I can always use more support and solidarity on this journey.

Thanks for this!
Stone92