Thread: Wellbutrin
View Single Post
Nate Jones

Member Since Sep 2018
Default Sep 30, 2018 at 10:22 AM

You sure you are bi-polar? ADHD and Bi-polar are often misdiagnosed as the other. The difference between them is ADHD is reactive to external stimuli while bi-polar is internally on a chemical cycle and its shifts are not caused by obvious external events.

Gender plays a role in this too. Men with ADHD tend to tackle their disorder with tasks and goals. Women on the other hand have their ADHD flux with their serotonin levels, which drop heavily just before or at the end of their menstrual cycle and can cause severe withdrawal and sudden depression. Additionally, someone's comorbid traits throw a curveball into this too. With all these various factors in play, its possible to throw off the diagnosis.

Usually, you want to confirm ADHD vs bi-polar. The external vs internal catalyst is often obvious. If that doesn't clear it up, treating the ADHD with titrated stimulants should reveal one or the other. ADHDers don't have euphoria or other common reactions from stimulants. You just come into focus and feel more stable and less scattered or . distracted. Then once you have that cleared up, you can start identifying and working through the comorbid traits. Often, properly treating the ADHD helps lessen so comorbid traits (like stimulants actually claming you and then mellowing out anxiety for example, where the anxiety meds did nothing before or even made the ADHD worse). Of course, this is from my own experience with myself and my two daughters. You need to work with your medical professional (who should be intimately familiar with atypical disorders and compromised executive functions). Majority of primary care are not up on treating ADHD or related conditions.

Good luck!
Nate Jones is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky