View Single Post
Anne2.0
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 13, 2018 at 06:56 AM

I think it can be helpful to report your experience as long as you don't need to be validated by the ethics board, meaning that it might be valuable for you to write down your experience, as the process of that itself might be healing. And sending it to the ethics board can be a way of releasing what you've been holding inside you, breaking your silence can be good for you no matter what. It's hard to predict what an ethics board will do with the information, so plan a way to be okay with whatever happens. Once you've released the information, it no longer belongs to you and you can't control what they do with it. I would expect they might not even investigate and just close it down. However, I think you will get a response no matter what.

I reported the therapist who owned the agency where my child had therapy for a little while. Her agency tried to bill me the full price for sessions my insurance had already paid for (and I'd paid my co-pay for). In my state, I was able to access the online complaint system (I'd be surprised if most states don't have this, just like you can look up complaints against therapists). I received an answer within days that they don't investigate insurance fraud by therapists. I suppose, though they didn't tell me this, that it's a consumer fraud/criminal matter.

I'm a believer in #MeToo, in telling your story in whatever way makes sense to you. Maybe it's enough for you to tell it in therapy, or maybe it would help you to make it public. He will receive a copy of your complaint, which means that at least he will have to read it. Doesn't mean he will hear you or agree, but there's something to be said for telling people they've hurt you and being serious enough about it to write it down and report it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote