View Single Post
Anonymous56789
Anonymous56789 has no updates. Edit

Default Oct 16, 2018 at 08:33 PM

Therapist professor conclusion:

Quote:
Also had a convo with one of my professors today about this. As 4th years we supervise 1st years to get our feet wet in supervision so I asked him for advice regarding mine...

His email was long but informative, ending with ‘unfortunately, much of the treatment provided by our field is almost universally ineffective and inappropriate but not unethical to the point where it warrants serious action.’ To that I responded something to the effect of... k? So what do you suggest we do? And is there any hope?

New therapist & malpractice fears : psychotherapy
Outcomes not relevant. Just sad.

I wish sonebody would teach them about the harm they can cause but no mention of that.

Why don't they teach this in the class?

Quote:
In my personal experience, although I know it happens, I've never personally known another therapist to be sued for malpractice.

So long as you're not having romantic relationships with your clients (biggest reason for loss of licensure), hanging out with your clients outside of the therapy setting, failing to hospitalize when they overtly tell you they're going to kill themselves, and making sure you refer to the appropriate levels of care when necessary, you really aren't at much risk.

Even though just about everyone else said it, I don't think it can be said enough. Write good, comprehensive notes for sessions. Document phone calls and contact outside of therapy sessions. Documentation is probably the worst part of our jobs but it's what keeps us protected.

Last edited by Anonymous56789; Oct 16, 2018 at 08:46 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
here today