View Single Post
mogwai

Member Since Oct 2018
11 hugs
given
Default Oct 20, 2018 at 07:57 AM

I have maternal and erotic transference for my T. Sometimes one dominates over the other and sometimes it's a mixed bag. I've read that the distinctions we place between emotional intimacy, sexual intimacy, non-sexual sensuality, sexual and non-sexual physical pleasures... are actually pretty blurry.

A mother/child relationship, and a lover/lover relationship are probably the peak of intimacy. You grow in the mother, merged, and then you're kept close to her for a long time after birth. As a baby you don't even have a sense of self separated from the mother. She breastfeeds, soothes you and meets your needs. That's very sensual and intimate. The closest 'merging' we have access to now are sexual/romantic adult relationships. If the childhood needs were unmet they could find some expression through relationships we have as adults. Your mind and body are going to make associations between all those messy feelings you have for your T.

Our underlying desires for the T are presumably childlike needs of emotional intimacy, affection, being soothed, merging with a parent, etc. But we're interpreting these needs as adults and it stirs up sexual feelings. Our minds are searching for a role in which to place the unique relationship of therapist/client, and with transference it feels like all sorts of intimacy and love. To me it's like I want to be as close as possible to her; experiencing both types of feelings is like maximising the intimacy.

So I think parental and erotic transference for your T makes sense because there are similarities in those feelings and relationships. We're both adult humans so the possibility of chemistry and attraction is there. We're experiencing repeated emotionally-intimate contact with a caring person who offers unconditional positive regard, and they might even be attractive too! Totally understandable to be attracted, even with the parental feelings too. I see it as a general whirlwind of loving feelings being stirred up in me, and it's okay if it seems weird, because it's a hot mess of different needs and desires directed at this one person.
mogwai is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
always_wondering, koru_kiwi, LonesomeTonight, rainbow8