*Laurie* has no updates.

8 yr Member
5,382 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 11, 2018 at 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanSunburn View Post
When you say running would be too painful, do you mean any running at all? You could try starting a run/walk program, like Couch to 5K, where you alternate short bursts of jogging with running. It's a 9 week program, and it starts with something like minute and a half walking alternating with 30 seconds of jogging. You can repeat weeks/workouts until you feel comfortable moving forward.

Oh, no way can I run at this point. I have painful Achilles tendonitis...if it isn't wrapped, walking is very painful. I'm working on just being able to walk for longer stretches - by that, I mean, walking around the grocery store or a department store is all I can do. By the time I am walking to my car, I'm limping. By the time I get home I'm in serious pain.

I used to love to run (jog). But that's the vicious cycle...I weigh too much to be able to job, so because I cannot jog (or whatever aerobic activity), how can I lose weight?

If I could alternate between walking and running as a strat to get back in shape, I'd be out there right now.

Until I was 41 I was still dancing ballet. So you can imagine how thin I was, and in excellent shape. I still use the stretches I've used for 40 years, which is great for retaining flexibility and helping my peace of mind, but stretching hardly supports weight loss.

A big problem since mid-June has been the wildfires here in Calif. The smoke is BAD. I spent as little time as possible outside during the summer because I quite literally couldn't breathe well. I had just started taking some short walks - and now here we are again, smoky air and ash falling. The little bit I was outside today I was coughing, my eyes burning and tearing. These past 5 months have been a hell here.

My cousin was on Seroquel, and she gained weight. She warned me when I went on it, so I started counting calories immediately and put myself on a pretty restrictive diet. Fortunately, I was able to keep my weight the same. I was experiencing cravings like crazy, though, and saw how easy it would have been for me to gain weight if I hadn't been watching myself like a hawk. You could try a calorie counting app, and watch what sort of nutrients you're getting.

You're fortunate. I had absolutely no idea, when I started taking Seroquel, that I would gain weight like this. I have always eaten a healthy diet. I don't overeat. A few years ago I was still able to bicycle. I sold my car and cycled everywhere for 6 months. To work, stores, cafes, post office, anywhere I would have driven. Had I not been on Seroquel my weight would have dropped to the point at which I was too thin. During those 6 months I didn't lose 1 lb. In fact, I gained a bit of weight. The "experiment" was extremely discouraging - to say the least.

I know you're feeling desperate, and these solutions are a little slow moving, but they might be worth a shot. I hope you find something the works, and please be safe.

Thank you. I appreciate your input.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Laurie* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky, RomanSunburn

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky, RomanSunburn