View Single Post
wrestlingmom

Member Since Oct 2018
Default Nov 11, 2018 at 07:22 PM

My husband has had mental health issues for 20+ years. 6 months ago he went to a day program for OCD, but was kicked out after his first week for drinking outside the program, which he knew was strictly prohibited. He tried to get back in but they told him he needed to see an outpatient therapist first and she would determine if he should return. He did and he agreed to let her consult with me. I told her my concerns 1) I've always felt his main issue is BPD, 2) He has excessive mood swings - going for weeks being manic and spending lots of money to being depressed and not showering for up to a week 3) He has been taking Valium only for years, its not effective and I felt he needed to be on a medication for mood disorders. 4) We are under extreme financial stress because he does not work, I pay all the bills and I cant afford these high therapy costs.

She agreed with me that he needed to be on medication to stabilize his moods and she also agreed that his main problem was BPD, not OCD. She also told me that when he was discharged from the OCD program, it was recommended that he have DBT and that would be considered a condition for him returning back to the OCD program.

He refused the DBT (he does not think he has BPD) and his doctor (who the therapist has consulted with several times) has done nothing to change his medications. I told his therapist that I did not feel it was appropriate for him to return back to the OCD program until he was stabilized with the proper medications and agreed to attend and show progress with DBT.

Nonetheless, she ignored this, referred him back to the OCD day program and then gave us the news that she was moving jobs to a different hospital. Well, not surprisingly, after less than two few weeks at the OCD program he was again discharged for non-compliance and again with recommendations for DBT.

I feel like this was so poorly managed and all that came out of it was a huge bill in the mail for this OCD program that he was inappropriately referred to.

Any suggestions?
wrestlingmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote