View Single Post
RomanSunburn
Poohbah

Member Since May 2008
633 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 11, 2018 at 09:59 PM

Does anyone else use exercise to manage their mental illness? If so, how is it working out? What type of exercise do you do? What happens if you end up with an injury and can't exercise for awhile? I'd love to hear your experiences!

I've been med-free for about a year and a half, and since moving about a year ago, I haven't found a new T or pdoc (although that will probably change soon). I started running about 5 years ago, and found that it really improved my depression, SAD, and anxiety. I was doing a 5K a month for the first 8 months or so, but then started having pain in my arches (thankfully not plantar fasciitis). I eventually dealt with that (after struggling with it for years), and this year, I decided to start training for my first half marathon. But I got injured with IT band syndrome on Labor Day, and I haven't been able to run since. I've been going to PT once a week since the end of September. I'm trying to keep up with my exercises outside of PT, but since the clocks changed, my SAD has kicked my depression into full gear and my motivation is going way down. I'm trying to keep moving forward, but it's a vicious cycle.
RomanSunburn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote