View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Nov 13, 2018 at 09:16 AM

I have been three times and all three were voluntary. I recognised I wasn't managing things very well and needed help. Friends and family were a big part of the last two experiences whereby they expressed their concerns and encouraged me to take some action. The first occasion came as a result of my thinking I was having a heart attack. But it was recognised as a panic attack. I was given the option of staying in the hospital for a while.

I am fortunate in that my loved ones are incredibly understanding and supportive. They make up a network of a strong support team. I recognise in turn their concerns when they voice them and thus when I had my last bout of severe depression it was at their encouragement that I sought help.

Not everyone has such a positive team. I realise some have the opposite and think how terribly unfortunate they are. I can't imagine hot having my own circle being present in my stability and recovery.

Are you at all surrounded by anyone emotionally supportive who could be encouraging for you? How close a professional relationship do you have with your family doctor? If you are concerned about your psychiatrist forcing you into being an inpatient could you instead see your family doctor for a chat about your concerns? Mobile Crisis organisations can be very helpful too. Unless you are clearly presenting a danger to yourself or others they will not force anything upon you.

Good luck. I am glad you had the courage to speak out.

Finally, there is nothing negative or weak about you for considering this. In fact, this is the opposite. It takes and incredible amount of strength to consider this. I commend you for it. Also consider that you are worth receiving help too.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
katydid777, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
blueoceaneyes, katydid777, MickeyCheeky