amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

15 yr Member
884 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 21, 2018 at 01:22 PM

As un technical, un professional untextbook wording that I can get here is the whats and why a person dissociates. (the dissociation process)....

you have all different physical parts of the brain that work together. all your senses are constantly and forever from the day a person is physically born to the moment that they die. All this information from what you are doing, thinking and saying, hearing, seeing, feeling... runs through the body to the brain so fast you do not realize it is happening as electrical currents along the nerves, to the spine and then the spine send the information to the brain.

now heres where dissociation and integration gets a bit confusing.

one of my triggers are common for human being so I will use that to demonstrate. a fear of heights.

Im up on top of a mountain looking down. all my senses run at high speed what I am seeing to the spine.

the spine sends all this information to my brain straight to the Thalamus.
the Thalamus is like an an airport or train station. it sends everything that comes in its door to the right places when its working correctly.

all at once all this that I am going through and what my senses take in gets shot out of the thalamus to different parts of my brain. As this information that there is a trigger happening reaches different parts of my different things happen all at once.

the hypothalmus sends back the message the emotions (fear, anxiety) the brain stem receives this message and speeds up the auto reactions like heartbeat, breathing, blood pressure. the Amygdala recieves the message that there is a trigger and a panic attack in the works and sends its messages around for either flight or fight. depending upon what skills and the type of trigger and how severe that trigger is decides which message the Amygdala sends back around the route.

the hypothalamus gets the news that for this trigger the response is lack of emotions flight response and starts shutting down the emotions.

the brain stem gets the message that the hypothalamus has shut down the emotions and slows down the breathing and heart rate and blood pressure because there is no more emotional responses happening. Because there is this emotional disconnection from the physical going on the brain stem slows things down almost but not quite entering a dream or sleep state. more like a foggy, everything is moving in slow motion, just here but not physically doing anything state for physical functioning called autopilot, automatic instead of consciously participating.

now because of being afraid of heights I am in a dissociation state physically and mentally.

now I knew the mechanics of dissociation. the beyond what I could find out there.

mind you there is a lot more involved with how the brain works and why a person dissociates I am trying to keep this as un complicated as possible. if you are interested in learning more, colleges have great classes on how the brain functions, how and and why we have emotions, what happens in the body to create dissociation and much more.

you can also contact your treatment providers who can help you get actual medical information about the brain and how it functions, and what happens when a person dissociates.

your treatment providers can even help you get brain scans and such to see whats happening inside your own brains when you dissociate. My own scans and MRI's happened during evaluations for physical health problems, some that are a part of my family history. if the scans are not medically needed you may have to pay out of pocket and they can be expensive.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
Alatea, Betty_Banana, Laurel1562, MickeyCheeky