View Single Post
still_crazy
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2016
3,342 hugs
given
Default Nov 25, 2018 at 10:03 AM

i dont think anyone knows how meds "work..."

there's a general, basic understanding of what a psych drug does to the brain and body, but how that translates into changes in mood, perception, behavior, etc. is still in the realm of mystery.

so...its not just you. and the same psych drugs ("meds") are used for people in different situations. I take Abilify, for "Bipolar I." In my community, I'm labeled "Schizophrenic" (long story...), but Abilify is also used for people with that label.

When I was in my late teens, I was labeled with a "personality disorder" and treated with bunches of drugs, including "atypical" tranquilizers...to make me more "managable." They told me it was for "mental illness," etc.

I ended up with tardive dyskinesia at a young age, plus stiff gait (the "mental patient walk," basically). By some miracle, I'm now free of tardive dyskinesia and the stiff gait, even though I seem to need some kind of tranquilizer.

that's just the basics of my story. drugs can be used to create long term customers (giving patients benzodiazepines to "build good rapport"), drugs can be used to punish people (pumping involuntary patients full of Haldol, for instance, especially in state hospitals), drugs can be used to make life easier for -other- people (like giving elderly people seroquel), on and on it goes. and yet...

-if- one accepts that "Schizophrenia" and "Bipolar I" represent problems that probably require treatment...something like .9% of the population deals with "Schizophrenia" and I Think a smaller % Bipolar I. but...

most psychiatrists aren't treating 'severe mental illnesses.' they're making $$$ pushing pills on very sad people, teenage misfits, affluent people willing to pay $$$ for guidance and drugs, etc. maybe we should just go to family doctors, if we really need psych drugs? I don't know, honestly.
still_crazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote