View Single Post
marcoleap

Member Since May 2017
4 hugs
given
Default Nov 30, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Depersonalization (DP) and derealization (DR) are usually caused by anxiety and sometimes also by depression, so medications or therapy that reduce anxiety and depression can help. I have found that SSRIs have been helpful. It's not clear whether benzos such as Klonopin are helpful; they may be in the short term but may worsen DP/DR in the long term. That is something to discuss with your doctor.

Many people find that DP/DR occurs after a prolonged period of severe stress. DP/DR is a way that the brain tries to protect itself, by dissociating in a way. The symptoms are not dangerous, though they can be extremely disturbing. Knowing that DP/DR is not dangerous and is a common way that the brain tries to protect itself in the face of severe or chronic stress has helped me react with less anxiety to the symptoms. When we respond with anxiety to DP/DR, it only intensifies and prolongs the symptoms. I have found that over time, the symptoms disappear completely once I am no longer in the midst of an episode of depression, anxiety, or prolonged stress.

I see from your other threads that you are taking an SSRI, Abilify, and Klonopin. I take Zoloft 200mg/day, Abilify 1mg/day, and Klonopin PRN. I have the same concerns as you about the Abilify, so I get regular blood checks to make sure my cholesterol and blood sugar are in the normal range. I am hoping to discontinue it eventually and am working hard in therapy to get to that point. But the way I see it, the risks of un- or undertreated depression are just as serious as the risks of Abilify, at least for the time being. If I developed tardive dyskinesia (TD) or diabetes, then that would be a different story. My pdoc has told me that he has had hundreds of patients on Abilify for the long term and at higher doses than I'm taking and has only seen one case of TD in a patient who was on 30mg for several decades.

Hope this is helpful.
marcoleap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote