View Single Post
Anonymous40258

Default Dec 02, 2018 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this.

I have extreme depression and anxiety due to chronic stress over life issues.

Awhile ago I realized that my personality has totally deteriorated.

I experimented for a month or two just faking being cheerful. Certain people thought my mental state had "improved" and I had gotten stronger mentally etc. etc.

But I was just faking it. Recently I dropped the facade and went back to my usual depressed mode. One relative said I was bipolar and needed medication for that. I tried to explain I was faking being cheerful so as not to burden others. Because I am not bipolar I was offended by a relative trying to diagnose me.

Here is my question. Should I go back to faking it?

In truth I am pretty depressed, angry, and irritable. I don't have road rage or anything...but I do find it difficult to have long conversations. After about 4 minutes I get bored with what the other person is talking about.

I live alone and less and less see the need for so much talk. In fact I have decided to be completely silent for the next 28 days. This isn't that difficult since I am socially isolated. But I am going to avoid the usual banter with store clerks about the holidays.

My personality has shrunk down and could fit on the head of a pin.
Clearly your personality is there. You sounds like an honest, straightforward and light-hearted person. My family also likes to diagnose me, so I remind myself "what degree do they have?" I don't let other people's opinions bother me anymore. Similarly, I feel like there are many people out there faking pleasantness, especially around the holidays, AND many people walking around angry, irritable and unpleasant. I will skip the conversation with those people, TY! But, receiving a smile or a kind reassurance can make all the difference in a person's day. I'm sorry pleasantness doesn't feel natural to you right now, it does not at times for me either. On occasion, I have difficulty sleeping or I get pains in my feet or arms, and although I choose not to accept prescription medication, I will (when needed) take over-the counter meds. I hope you choose to figure out what is causing you to change your mind about being pleasant and emotionally remove yourself from other peoples woes and worries
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky