View Single Post
Anonymous59376
Anonymous59376 has no updates. Edit

Default Dec 02, 2018 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralkittymom View Post
Transference originates in the client. It exists or it doesn't because it stems from unmet needs in childhood. A competent therapist cannot "implant" a transference in a client. There are, of course, incompetent/unethical therapists who inflict all sorts of harm. But to call such experiences "transference" is both inaccurate and misleading.

If a client is engaging in therapy, and the process of that therapy results in persistent feelings of desperation, self harm, life altering obsessiveness, etc--worse than before therapy-- then that's either bad therapy, or inappropriate therapy for that client at that time. Transference has nothing to do with it.
I’m not too concerned about labels.

Bad, inappropriate, etc are all relative, and meaningless when one finds themselves ‘in it’ with very little hope of getting out without serious damage. Until one has suffered through it, it is impossible to convey to someone who hasn’t.

I think many clients are unable to find the line between ‘transference’ that needs to be worked through, and a harmful situation. At what line should a person leave therapy? It seems to me from reading this board that there are not a small number of people recovering or trying to work their way out of extremely challenging situations. Often they are encouraged to ‘talk it out’, ‘work through the hard stuff’, etc. I don’t really know what the right answer is.

Thanks for this!
feralkittymom, here today, kecanoe, koru_kiwi