View Single Post
starfishing

Member Since May 2017
Default Dec 02, 2018 at 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia~ View Post
Just out of curiosity what would it look like for a T to bring up the paternal transference, like what would he say? This sounds horrifying to me, clearly I must not be ready.
I haven't specifically experienced anything I'd call paternal transference, but as an example... If during a session or a series of sessions I mentioned feeling a certain way about him, he might say something like "The way you're describing feeling reminds me of something, and I wonder if you'd agree. Do you think that feeling of confusion is like what you felt when your father..." etc. etc. etc.

The timing is important though, and I think (at least for me) the tentativeness of the interpretation is too. So my therapist would only bring that up if he saw it as the right time for me to hear it and had a reason he thought it would be useful. And if I disagreed, and said no, that experience with my dad was different because... or no, but it actually does remind me of this other thing/relationship... then my therapist would be open to hearing that, whether it eventually turned out that his interpretation was off base, or whether it just wasn't something I was ready to hear at the time.

Thanks for this!
feralkittymom