View Single Post
Anonymous56789

Default Dec 03, 2018 at 10:50 AM

This seems to be a frequent topic:
working through transference site:https://forums.psychcentral.com/psychotherapy/
(I think you have to copy and paste that into the search box.)

I've worked through mine, and it could get too intense at times due to childhood trauma. But I'm also very dissociative, which kind of crosses into it or blurs it or distorts it-not sure how to describe.

Both my long term Ts were psychoanalysts; from what I understand, "working through" is specific to psychoanalytic therapy. I always told him all of my feelings that were about him, and he responded with interpretations.

The way we use the terms here, I think just talking about it is working on it. Not sure how different it is, but I know that the therapist's modality has a big influence on how intense transference is (as opposed to merely the client-that I think is a myth). In the past, I've done therapy with nonpsychoanaytic Ts and had little to no transference.

I can see how people could get sucked in, with endless talk about the therapist/feelings surrounding the therapist, taking over the whole therapy. Some see that as attachment work? I see it more structural in it changes how your mind works. This is always an interesting subject to me.