View Single Post
Anonymous56789

Default Dec 06, 2018 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia View Post
I don't think that wanting to have information and researching independently is the same as the defense mechanism of intellectualizing. The latter implies an escape from dealing with emotions and the irrational elements of our nature. Wanting to understand one's emotional processes, instead of just experiencing them, is pretty much the basic goal of therapy, no? And if someone finds it useful and sees significant improvement due to it in how they handle emotions, I don't think they escape by any means. The whole of therapy is quite an intellectual process and requires that strongly, that is how it can be different from ordinary interactions for many people, I believe. For me personally, many (if not most) of my ordinary interactions also tend to be heavily analytical and involving mutual introspection on psychological factors, one reason therapy did not bring me much new and felt superficial given that therapy sessions were an hour a week (plus some emails) vs. the rest of my life and social interactions all the time. I often quickly lose interest in and move on from people who cannot or do not want to engage with me in this way so, for me, it's part of a long-term, basic lifestyle. And yes, for me dealing with emotions very often involves heavily intellectualizing - escaping into what feels much more pleasurable than actually experiencing negative feelings. That's a defense. But I find that I can work on loosening it much more effectively in everyday life, especially when I have bad days and conflicts with people and trying to resolve them or just let them be. In therapy, just sitting and talking about it... was very much intellectualizing for me instead of doing, and because intellectualizing is kinda automatic for me and can even turn addictive, therapy was just running in the same old familiar circles, which I already do by default. But if someone can use it constructively and improve as a result, that is not an escape or defense IMO.
It's not just intellectual understanding though-it's experiential (not sure if that's the right word). I was trying to get at that with Here today in that it may be more of an implicit felt experience or believing rather than explicit understanding.

Intellectualization did keep me together when i was experiencing emotional flooding, so it wasn't merely a curiosity but it worked in a positive way. You and I are much different in those regards-I've heavily in my emotions (but use isolation), but it's not balanced. And although I'm a very analytical person, it seems to be one or the other. Therapy has helped integrate...

Having an observing ego is good and even necessary to tolerate psychoanalytic therapy, I believe. If you didn't have that, everything would be egosyntonic, where you'd have no awareness. But I think as a defense, intellectualization can have an adverse affect on one day to day in terms of being mindful. It can keep people as an observer of life rather than living in it, similar to depersonalization. So for those prone, analytic therapy can worsen that. You can talk about the transference rather than 'be in it' in terms of therapeutic space. I think this is the other side of the coin of being overly emotional.

Being an observer and not participant in the world around them is a schizoid trait that is accompanied by anhedonia, lack of motivation/procrastination, flat affect, and detachment. Loosening up defenses so one is in an emotional mindset more can help with that. A better regulated ego has balance. But I think of defense mechanisms differently than others here, so I won't go on about it. But it's something I have a deep interest in because it impacts the way your whole mind works, sense of self, and how you relate to others.

Thanks for this!
TeaVicar?, Waterloo12345