View Single Post
BudFox
Grand Magnate

Member Since Feb 2015
752 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 06, 2018 at 07:00 PM

"Patients who manage to organise non-stop psychotherapy for themselves, year after year replacing one therapist after the other without a break, who even have a number of concurrent therapies at various stages so that they are hardly ever without therapy, learn a lot about psychotherapy, but only to defeat its very purpose. They themselves have no intention whatsoever of changing. They are professional patients. Briefly, they use psychotherapy itself to defend against change. The more disturbed ones, may fantasise or even attempt to become psychotherapists themselves. If they are lucky, they will be rejected by the training institution. If not, they will join the ranks of those bad therapists, who are well-versed in theory, but who have distorted attitudes, a tendency to intellectualise, and who are unable to work in the here-and-now, or make therapeutic use of transference and their own countertransference."

-----

While this is particularly aggressive, arrogant, judgmental, condescending, entitled, and creepy... I think it is still typical therapist attitude. People hate generalizations about therapists, but I think the above paragraph is further evidence that therapists as a group are low awareness creatures. It's easy to castigate clients for becoming addicts, but how often do you see one of these cranks acknowledging their own role in that process? Never. Instead they argue that the process that gives rise to addiction and trauma repetition and abandonment panic is the very same process the client should trust as the path to enlightenment. I wouldn't sit alone in a room with this person if you paid me. Ironically these aggressive ones often seem most insistent about trusting them to steer you thru a "corrective" life experience. Also the author mindlessly references standard therapy dogma... resistance to change, transference, "bad" therapists.

Thanks for this!
koru_kiwi, Taylor27