Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
1,231 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 08, 2018 at 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudFox View Post
Also, seems many people who report long term benefit are still in therapy. What happens after termination, which seems to destroy some people? Or if termination never comes, does that mean "working thru" transference is a process without end?
those are some interesting questions to ponder i too wonder why those who are in long term therapy and, i guess they do believe it's beneficial, but why continue to remain instead of going out and 'testing' the skills one should have learned or improved upon from their therapy? why do these clients prefer to remain?

personally, i always thought the point of most therapies was to get one to the point to where they no longer needed the support or assistance of a therapist. similar to a child growing up and going out into the world. i deeply love and cherish my children, and have watched them grow from infant-hood to young adults now. nothing brings me more satisfaction and makes me happier then to know that my job as a parent is almost complete. well, a parents job is never over, but at least i can say i have been with them along the way and watched them grow up into mature adults who i am confident are ready to venture out into the wide world with out me constantly having to hold their hand. i would hope a Ts motivation would be similar. honestly, as much as i love my kids, i want them to succeed and not have to move back home. i do question the motivation of some therapist who are happy to keep a client long term (10 years plus) and do start to wonder if that is more about the T and their needs instead of the clients needs.

Thanks for this!
BudFox, here today