View Single Post
here today
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 08, 2018 at 04:43 AM

It's really interesting reading people's different experiences and emotional reactions to therapy. Several years ago it helped me a lot to read about other people's negative reactions to therapy because I was struggling a lot with my own, and thought the negative reactions in me were "unacceptable" -- as, perhaps they were somewhat in their intensity and in their compartmentalization. Factors that might have been addressed in a "good" therapy -- but how could I, as I was at the time, understand or recognize that on my own? I couldn't/didn't. Reading other people's experiences and opinions about therapy helped me a lot.

I just got the book "The Betrayal Bond" mentioned in another thread, and wow, does it help explain things to me.

I was in therapy for a long time. My last therapist bailed. I/we got (close) to the nugget of my stuff and she bailed. It was too close to her unresolved stuff apparently, and hence "ethical" for her to terminate. What else could she do? She couldn't do what she couldn't do. But what a (repeat) betrayal to/for me.

It may help to distinguish that it wasn't just a "transference" that was the issue. More like, it became reenactment. The T wasn't fully conscious of her stuff, and couldn't get there, and hence couldn't help me. And I was traumatically bonded to her, and to the idea of therapy as help for my problems. A very negative, and hurtful, experience.

Hugs from:
Bill3, koru_kiwi, LonesomeTonight

Thanks for this!
elisewin, koru_kiwi, LonesomeTonight