View Single Post
piggy momma
Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2018
70 hugs
given
Default Dec 10, 2018 at 10:37 PM

I am doing my undergrad in Psych at the moment. The plan is to do my Masters after and then be a registered psychologist (you don't need a PhD where I live).

Once registered, there are two areas I'm interested in. One is just in private practice doing counselling with adults over the age of 18 or 21 (still deciding). This appeals to me because I can work from home and make my own hours, both of which are very important to me.

The second option I'm considering is in the area of forensics. I'm really, really interested in the issues that drive people to a life of crime. I'd be interested in working with first-time offenders and helping with the rehabilitation process to keep them out of the justice system in the future. The down sides to this are many - it would likely mean working for the government which means a 40 hour work week with limited vacation and sick days (no thanks), it would also be significantly less money, and if I wanted to truly work with first time offenders I would likely be working with youth, and I have no interested in working with children and youth.

I would consider a combination of both (maybe part time in the penal system while I build a private practice) but at the end of the day...I have so much school ahead of me I might be dead before I graduate. I'm starting school very late in life - I'm 44 and just finishing my first year.
piggy momma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote