View Single Post
Thalassophile

Member Since Nov 2017
Default Dec 12, 2018 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
This may not be a useful inquiry for you, but I find it curious you didn't ask him to repeat himself, as in just a simple "sorry, I didn't catch what you just said. Can you repeat it?" No need to tell him what you'd heard possibly mistakenly or react to the correct information.

I guess the curious part for me is why you wouldn't want to know what he actually said, rather than an assumption, particularly in the context of the session topic related to autism. It was an assumption in the first place by you, in the sense that you assumed your former T gave you accurate information. In some ways it is perfectly reasonable to rely on what someone tells you about another person, especially when it would seem she received that information first hand because they once worked together, but in other ways you can't, just like any other "gossip" about somebody else.

I guess I just wander if there is something there in your communication style that may bear examining, given how much being clear about what you're saying and being clear about what the other person is saying is so central to human relationships, including T. And whether being less clear in speaking and understanding others could be connected to feeling anxious about the relationship or other kinds of issues.
Interesting observation here... Not wanting to derail LT's session but I can understand why someone might not clarify in the midst of the conversation as I think I would have done the same. I can't say of course why LT didn't clarify but I know if it was me I would worry that he had said what he said by accident...let it slip.. and had not meant or wanted to say it and if I asked him to clarify it would draw attention to that fact and he would feel regretful or suddenly shut down and tell himself he needed to be more careful in the future... and thus there would be no more slips which can be enjoyable...Ridiculous I know..Or another scenario is that I often take hours before I react to things that were said so I wouldn't have realised I wanted to clarify until I'd left the appointment. Depending on what it was I might bring it up at the next session. Like a delayed reaction of sorts. Interested to hear your thoughts on your session LT.

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight