Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
74.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 12, 2018 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassophile View Post
Interesting observation here... Not wanting to derail LT's session but I can understand why someone might not clarify in the midst of the conversation as I think I would have done the same. I can't say of course why LT didn't clarify but I know if it was me I would worry that he had said what he said by accident...let it slip.. and had not meant or wanted to say it and if I asked him to clarify it would draw attention to that fact and he would feel regretful or suddenly shut down and tell himself he needed to be more careful in the future... and thus there would be no more slips which can be enjoyable...Ridiculous I know..Or another scenario is that I often take hours before I react to things that were said so I wouldn't have realised I wanted to clarify until I'd left the appointment. Depending on what it was I might bring it up at the next session. Like a delayed reaction of sorts. Interested to hear your thoughts on your session LT.

Thanks for the comment, this pretty much exactly captures what was going on in my head. Where if he accidentally slipped, it would just draw attention to it. And then he'd be super careful. Plus since part of the session had been about his son, I didn't want to seem like I was prying into another personal matter. And, like you, I often take time to react to things. Which is why I can often probably seem fine to him in session, like I'm OK with what he said (or what ex-T or ex-MC said), then it will hit me more later. Which is why email is good. And I think because he's been so evasive about certain personal things (like when I asked him about his infrequent wearing of wedding ring), I doubted he'd let his guard down so much. So I felt I must have misheard.

There's also the fact that I was already over time, it was like 62 minutes at that point, while I was paying, so I didn't want to seem like I was trying to prolong it. Had it been earlier in session and we'd still been sitting and talking, I would have been more likely to say something, or at least consider saying it. I guess the other thing is, I didn't want to seem like I was trying to confirm the "killed her" part because I know that's just an expression! So, it involved a lot of factors, some of which I probably wasn't consciously aware of at the time.

And, to include a response to Anne here, I do have some communication issues, and it's one of the things I'm working on in therapy right now. So, yeah, I'm aware of that.