Thread: Gratitude?
View Single Post
Anonymous57363

Default Dec 12, 2018 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will19 View Post
There's so much for me to be thankful for a lot. I have my health, at least I don't feel like there's anything wrong. I have shelter; out from the cold, enough money in my savings, a job I like with nice people, car running good, and other things.

I think that with depression, it seems much easier to dwell on what's wrong rather than what's right. In essence, at least that's how it is for me, there are more items in my life that are right than wrong. But I make the mistake of thinking about the items that are wrong.

Every night I thank the Lord for all the good things He's done. It really makes me feel pretty good before going to bed.
You made a very astute point:

"I think that with depression, it seems much easier to dwell on what's wrong rather than what's right. In essence, at least that's how it is for me, there are more items in my life that are right than wrong. But I make the mistake of thinking about the items that are wrong."

Did you know that some experts think of depression as an attention bias...essentially that the brain is biased toward focusing on negatives rather than positives...just as you noticed about yourself.

I'm in the same boat. I have many good things in my life but my brain often finds all the negatives to worry about or feel sad about. But there is GOOD news!!! It is possible to re-program your brain to focus more on positives.

Another strategy which researchers say helps after 21 days:
Keep a notebook by your bed. At night, before you go to sleep, write down 3 positive things about yourself. When you wake up in the morning, before you even get out of bed, open up your notebook and read the 3 positives from the night before. Researchers found this a useful technique in training the brain to focus on positives; thereby helping with depression and low self-esteem.

You are already doing part of this when you thank God...this tip could just help you make it more concrete and combine it with your morning routine. The idea is that the last things you think about at night and first things you think about in the morning are POSITIVE Peace and good luck to you.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky