View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 15, 2018 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
Do you have to constantly eat prunes? How does one get ahead of their constipation? If you're a woman, your hormones mess up your digestion before, during and after your period. I tend to get constipated right after my period and it sucks. Also, my hypothyroid disease causes constipation so I really need to probably take something OTC against my will, to keep it all soft in my colon. So frustrating. I just don't know what to do!!
No, I don't eat prunes constantly.

I don't deal with constant constipation. I think it is, because I drink a lot of very watered down fruit juice and eat a good amount of vegetables and fruit everyday. If I don't eat any for a day I get backed up. Walking helps things move as well. I find if I work at a desk for a few days straight it is harder to move my bowels.

My period can back me up, but it is usually when I don't drink enough. I tend to get very hungry and thirsty during my period, so it is rarely an issue.

Taking laxatives everyday is going to mess with your colon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
I think I will ask the GI dr. tomorrow about taking stool softeners. Because, if its all hard and stuck in there, I don't see how taking an osmotic laxative that will bulk up and make larger what's already hard inside my colon, easier for me to pass. This is why my anxiety is so high. There's just no right way to get rid of constipation b/c it depends on what's stuck inside -- how hard it is etc. -- and the best way to get it out.

Taking an osmotic laxative can be brutal. If you have bits blocking you up, the cramping will be intense. That would be my last resort. What about a rectal enema? They can cause some 'local' cramping and temporary **** burning, but they work. Once all the fluid in your rectum has been expelled the cramping stops. Personally I would try diet first, and no I am not referring to Metamucil.