View Single Post
Anonymous57363

Default Dec 17, 2018 at 12:58 AM

Hello samj40, I am so sorry you are having these struggles. You mentioned psychosis. Do you have a MD helping you to manage that? It sounds frightening for you. Do you have support from a good psychotherapist and/or psychiatrist?

This may seem like an odd question but are you familiar with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)? Have you ever tried acupuncture? A wonderful TCM doctor (he has a PhD in his field) has helped me with hormonal imbalance, migraines (caused by hormonal imbalance), sinus congestion, and mod-severe anxiety/depression.

I realize that there are many allopaths who dismiss TCM as "hocus pocus." However, I was skeptical when I first tried it but became impressed by the results. My migraines were horrible and triggered by different points in my cycle every month because my hormones were so out of whack. For months, I had a true period every 2 weeks which was exhausting. My TCM doc helped me with acupuncture and now I no longer have migraines. I also have a regular cycle now and I find that my emotions around my cycle are more stable though we are still working on the overall anxiety/depression which have been lifelong for me.

I used to have to take increasing dosages of Immitrex but no longer even refill it since the migraines have stopped entirely. I realize that is not your particular issue but since it sounds as though your menstrual problems and PMDD (if I'm understanding the acronym correctly as premenstrual dysphoric disorder) may be due to hormone imbalance...I wonder if you might find any relief from a TCM approach?

Naturopaths can also provide insight and methods which allopaths lack. For example, a naturopath taught me that magnesium can help with sleep disturbance, menstrual pain, and irregular cycles. I am NOT suggesting that you go ahead and start taking magnesium. I am not a doctor and that would need to be determined under the care and guidance of a trained provider. Just wanted to point out that there are other approaches out there which may help you. In TCM and naturopathy, they also look at diet in order to improve nutritional health. Sugar, dairy, and fried foods are thought to be some common sources of inflammation in the body. I've never heard an OB-GYN ask a patient about their diet and food tolerances. There is now a growing movement of dieticians who believe that so much of our mood and immune system is based on gut health, that they have started calling the stomach our "second brain."

Have you noticed that traditional OB-GYNs often suggest the pill for any women's health issue below the waist?? Bad period pain? - "you need the pill" ... PCOS? "you need the pill" .... Irregular cycle? "you need the pill."
Personally I am not able to take the pill because it makes my depression worse and can really make my moods loopy.

The older I get, the more I favor a holistic approach to body, mind, and spirit. I find that TCM docs and Naturopaths have the same idea. They look at the body not as a broken thing, with a collection of symptoms which need to be eliminated, but as a system which communicates imbalance to us via signs and symptoms. Then they go about treating the whole system by endeavoring to bolster the body's ability to heal itself.

Of course, I am NOT bashing allopaths. We need them too. If I ever break my arm, I won't be going for acupuncture or naturopathy I would need an allopath I just wish all these branches of medicine could work together in harmony. I think that would benefit patients most. When you mentioned psychosis, that sounds very concerning and I would definitely suggest consultation with your GP regarding psychiatry and/or psychology. Perhaps you've already done that.

I am just sharing some ideas coming from a place of care and regard. Disregard at will. I know what it feels like when it seems as though the natural function of your female system seems to be working against you every month. Good luck to you and best wishes for a peaceful solution for your physical and emotional needs.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote