View Single Post
Anonymous55498

Default Dec 19, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Just a comment on the open relationship thing... I would second that it is important to discuss and clarify what an "open relationship" (or polyamory, or whatever we call it) entails in every single case, preferentially as early in the relationship as possible. It is indeed something that means many different scenarios and conditions for many people. I have lived in what can be described as open relationships (or unconventional relationship structures) in my whole life and it works for me and the people I usually form a good match with very well. Not only because I am bisexual but it is just what is compatible with my personality and needs - I tried more conventional monogamy a few times when I was young but it failed each time when the partner was really had on those expectations. But the specific conditions of my relationships are individualized, it is not the same with every partner and my needs are not exactly the same with everyone either. There is a basic idea but then I like to develop it with every partner based on the combination of us, not just myself. It has never really been a problem for me except those few cases when I was very young and hooked up with people who had too different values and I find that those who prefer more traditional relationships don't tend to be attracted to me very often either - I am very open about these parts of myself with everyone so it is usually obvious. I did find a few times that people used the concept of "open relationship" or "polyamory" to cheat on their primary partners in secret though - I engaged that way with such people a couple times and decided around my late 30's that I will never do anything secretive again and won't cover for anyone. Much easier and generally more fair that way. When I do online dating, for example, I put my conditions in my profile very clearly - I still sometimes get interests from people who think differently and want to change me, but I decline those very quickly.

Thanks for this!
Anne2.0, ChickenNoodleSoup