View Single Post
Anonymous50384

Default Dec 19, 2018 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanSunburn View Post
These are great ideas! I will definitely do some looking around. But now for my next question...! How did you muster up the courage/overcome the inertia (and anxiety if you had any?) to try it out?
Ok RomanSunburn. I definitely have these same issues that you do. For me, working through these things, there's not just one way, but a lot of ways, and I use all the tools available to me. I think sometimes, just having the mindset: "I'm going to show up, no matter what's going on with me, no matter how I'm feeling, I'll just show up as me in that moment," helps. Honestly I have been avoiding knitting group for I think over a month now. But I always put it on my calendar for the next week. So trust me, I have issues with this too.

I am also in a DBT group, and learning DBT skills. It helps.

Are you in therapy? Therapy with a good fitting therapist is very helpful too. Support helps.

Be patient. I have been working on these issues for years. Maybe it won't take you years. It started getting easier when I moved out of my parents house last year, and asked for help. I asked for what I needed (support) from others, and I don't believe there is any shame in that. You do have to let go of your ego a little, to do that. It also got easier when I found an antidepressant that helped.

I also think that there can be this preconception about anxiety like, unless we feel better, we can't go out and do it. In other words, we think we have to feel ready in order to do it and that is simply not often the case with anxiety. Yes, there are steps we can take to make it easier. And there's a hierarchy of easier stuff vs harder stuff for us. But you start to feel better about it after you've done it.

Same with inertia. Motivation. We think we must feel motivated first, and then go do the thing. Nope. Actually motivation comes, a lot of the time, once we've gotten up and moving and go towards the thing, start doing the thing, going to the thing, etc. "Motivation comes after action." Google that and you'll come up with a lot.

I hope I helped, RS. Let me know!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
RomanSunburn

Thanks for this!
RomanSunburn