Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jul 2017
4,957 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 22, 2018 at 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT6211 View Post
So the other day I wrote this to T...and I wanted to share because I’m curious to see what y’all have to say about this...:P

“I had a thought earlier…so you know how I was describing how I was training [dog] by rewarding good behavior and ignoring bad behavior? You know, textbook operant conditioning stuff. Then I was realizing…that’s not too much different than what you did with me lol.
Love this- and agree. I clicker train my dogs new skills , and also use LRS ( Least Reinforcing Scenarios) for mistakes. My T uses LRS on me often; if I say something contrary to deep work we've accomplished, he pauses and goes on with a moment of neutrality, a distinct pause. Like yours , he rewards specific communications with his attention, and ignores others. I do then offer new, different behaviors trying to get back to connection . He once told a story about his son that ended in "Time Out No Cookie". I snickered bc I know the feeling and can more empathize with the kid than the adult in this scenario, as the holiday break feels like time out no cookies to me .

My T dislikes dogs, so he would not be amused by these playful, tongue in cheek comparisons

Esme's T= Dog training

Quote:
The Least Reinforcing Scenario is simply a 2-3 second neutral response after an animal gives an unwanted behavior, followed immediately by another opportunity to earn reinforcement. For example, you cue a dog to sit and it lies down instead. Immediately when the dog lies down instead of sits, give a neutral response for 2-3 seconds and then cue the dog to do a different cue that you are positive they can successfully complete.
So what is a neutral response? There is no straight answer to this. It is not a freeze, it is just a continuance of what you are doing – if you are looking at the dog, keep looking at the dog. If you were in the process of scratching an itch, keep scratching the itch. The key is to just maintain the environment so the dog is neither punished nor rewarded. This is only effective for a dog that is accustomed to working in a positive reinforcement environment. When you reward, reward, reward and then don’t, the dog will notice the lack of rewarding. There’s no need to extend the time or get emotional – just 2-3 seconds of a neutral response is enough feedback.

Last edited by SalingerEsme; Dec 22, 2018 at 06:59 AM..
SalingerEsme is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
MRT6211