Anne2.0
Grand Magnate
Anne2.0 elephant walks on

10 yr Member
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 22, 2018 at 09:00 AM

it does sound like your therapy has a thread of behavioral modification as part of it, and the original Skinnerian ideas of stimulus-response have their roots in animal behavior. Thirty years ago, my Psych 100 class trained pigeons, like they did in WWII (the wartime experience was not really so successful whereas my pigeon was).

What might be worth discussing is the use of positive rewards rather than punishment, which I believe is more effective in shaping behavior. Take a look at the newish research on corporal punishment, it's ever so more clear that punishment doesn't work so well to shape behavior in kids and it has a lot of side effects on kids' wellbeing and the relationship between kids and parents. I think the same is true for dogs, teaching them what to do rather than punishing them, especially during the housebreaking period. Punishing dogs seems to end up with really messed up dogs who slink away to poop in someone's closet.

I think from previous threads you indicate that you signed up for this kind of tough love (sorry if I'm confusing you with another poster), but even if you haven't, only you can choose to modify your behavior regardless of your T's approach. And you can't force her into doing something because you think it would be better for you, at least without negotiating for it. You are the subject of the behavior modification and therefore the one who has to agree to be modified or not.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MRT6211

Thanks for this!
MRT6211