View Single Post
chihirochild
Magnate

Member Since Feb 2017
4,865 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 22, 2018 at 12:17 PM

I have a small conundrum and would appreciate any thoughts or advice y'all might have. I'll be working at a different hospital for the next two weeks. Part of the purpose is educational (for me to learn how other specialties at other hospitals function), but another purpose is for them to check me out and decide whether or not they might be interested in hiring me or offering me a fellowship spot once I'm done with residency.

The conundrum is that normally I have to miss several hours of work on Friday afternoons in order to go to therapy (~3.5 hours--one hour of therapy, one hour of group, and 45 minutes drive time each way). I'm afraid that if I tell them I have depression, they won't want to hire me (because of stigma, and because me having to go to therapy every week is kind of a scheduling nightmare for hospitals/doctors). However, I don't want to misrepresent myself, and I don't want to contribute to stigma of mental illness in medicine by not disclosing, and I think that acting ashamed of a thing usually makes any existing shame worse... plus if they're the sort of workplace that won't take me because I have depression, I may not want to work for them anyway.

As far as I can tell, my options are:
- not go either week, which would be stupid
- go one week but not the other to minimize impact, which would be less stupid
- go both weeks
- go one or both weeks and not explain why ("I have a medical appointment")
- go one or both weeks and explain why ("I've got depression and have a therapy appointment")

Thoughts? Perspectives? Stories?
chihirochild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MRT6211, SalingerEsme

Thanks for this!
SalingerEsme